A. The city clerk shall be appointed by, report to and be supervised by the mayor/city council and shall serve at the pleasure of the city council. The position of city clerk is a professional and confidential position wholly exempt from the classified services.
B. The office of the city clerk shall operate as a separate entity from the department of administration and other city departments.
C. The city clerk shall:
1. Attend meetings of the city council and its boards, commissions and committees as required and keep the journal of the city;
2. Have custody of the official city seal;
3. Assure that notice and other requirements for public meetings are complied with and assure that public records are available for public inspection as required by law;
4. Manage city records and develop retention schedules and procedures for inventory, storage and destruction of records as necessary;
5. Maintain an indexed file of all permanent municipal records, provide for codification of ordinances, and authenticate or certify records as necessary;
6. Prepare agendas and agenda packets as required by the city council and in accordance with the deadlines established in BMC 2.04.050(B);
7. Administer all municipal elections;
9. Take oaths, affirmations, and acknowledgements as necessary;
10. Act as the parliamentary advisor to the city council;
11. Develop, prepare and defend the city clerk’s office budget as required by the city council;
12. Perform other duties required by law, and by the city council. [Ord. 20-31 § 3, 2020; Ord. 03-22 § 3; Ord. 93-25 § 1; prior code § 2.12.010.]