A. ATVs are permitted to operate on a public roadway within city limits under the following conditions:
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, ATVs must comply with all city of Bethel and state of Alaska traffic laws and ordinances.
2. ATVs must be registered through the Division of Motor Vehicles and proof of registration must be displayed in the designated location on the vehicle.
3. Vehicles must have liability insurance, and proof of insurance must be presented upon demand.
4. While driving on a public roadway within city limits, ATVs:
a. Must stay on the correct side of the lane of traffic except when crossing the road;
b. May not pass other moving vehicles;
c. May not weave in and out of traffic;
d. May not operate in any other manner that may be considered careless, reckless, or negligent;
e. Must be under one thousand five hundred (1,500) pounds (including cargo);
f. Must wear a helmet when operating an ATV;
g. Must not carry passengers unless the ATV was designed by the manufacturer to carry passengers.
5. The speed limit in a parking lot or an area congested with pedestrians is five (5) miles per hour.
6. The operator must have a valid driver’s license. [Ord. 22-02 § 2, 2022; Ord. 16-31 § 2.]